Land acquisitions are difficult to understand as they follow a complex legislative process.
Although you cannot prevent your land from being acquired, you have the right to engage an experienced land acquisition team.
An acquiring authority is permitted to take or use part or all of an owner’s land, without the consent of the property owner or occupier. However, the property owner and any occupier is entitled to suitable compensation for their losses.
The purpose of compensation is to provide you with the full money equivalent of the land to which you have been deprived and to otherwise put you in substantially the same position as before the acquisition. Compensation is assessed with the assistance of a qualified valuer.
What are the benefits of engaging our specialised team?
- we will guide you through the acquisition process from start to finish, including informing you of your rights and obligations
- the acquiring authority is required by legislation to pay for all reasonable costs of engaging your support team in the initial stages of the process (that is, prior to being referred to a court or tribunal)
- we will provide you with a structure to increase the compensation offered
- we will assist you in attaining an advance of compensation monies if requested
- we will provide you with professional, experienced representation at any valuer’s conference and/or any court or tribunal hearing
M+K has represented many clients from around Victoria advising and assisting them in obtaining fair compensation for the acquisition of their proprietary interests.
For further information or assistance, please contact:
Geoff Manolitsa | Senior Associate
T: (03) 9794 2552