Roland is a commercial litigator and 'back-end' construction lawyer with more than 20 years' experience in all facets of litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Roland combines deep legal knowledge with a strategic approach to drive a commercial outcome for the client, every time.
Roland's expertise includes:
- Construction + engineering disputes
- Commercial litigation
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Construction contracts
- Carbon pricing
Protecting a contractor
Work was halted for 12 months on a CBD office site when the retaining walls of an 18m deep underground carpark excavation moved, risking catastrophic collapse. While the GFC ran its course, we protected our client, the civil works contractor, in negotiations with the builder, owner and a subcontractor, and in litigation against the contract works insurer. The client survived and is now prospering.
I acted for a developer in enforcing off-the-plan sales contracts in a 300 apartment high-rise development. This involved 22 separate Supreme Court proceedings, of which all but one were resolved on terms acceptable to my client. The remaining case ran to trial, where the client succeeded on all issues.
I recently made a submission to ACCC for 4 large electricity consumers regarding price claims of electricity retailers. I have also prepared a clause for inclusion in tenders regarding increases in cost of materials on account of carbon price. In 2012, I presented a seminar series titled "The impact of Carbon Pricing on the Construction Industry" for the Civil Contractors Federation.
Qualifications, membership and recognition
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Melbourne
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Member, Law Institute of Victoria
- Accredited Mediator (IAMA)
- Member, Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia
- Member, Building Dispute Practitioners Society
- Member, Civil Contractors Federation